1. In a pot, mix butter and flour to make a roux.
2. Take the pot away from flame. Add a little milk. Stir well.
3. When the mixture becomes of a smooth consistency, add a little more milk and stir it till it again attains a smooth consistency.
4. Likewise, continue adding milk, till it 1 pint is used up.
5. Bring it to a boil, while stirring it continuously. Remove from heat when it is of a thick consistency.
6. Beat it well to remove all lumps and give a gloss to the sauce. If there are any more lumps, use a wire whisk to disintegrate it. If you want to make a coating sauce, use less milk as that will make it a thicker sauce.
7. White Sauce can be used as a base to make a variety of sauces like cheese sauces and casserole dishes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 595 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.8%
Saturated Fat 23.6 g117.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109 mg36.3%
Sodium 196 mg8.2%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.77 g3.1%
Sugars 25.4 g
Protein 19 g37.2%
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 0.06%
Calcium 55.3% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet