1. In a pot, mix butter and flour to make a roux.
2. Take the pot away from flame. Add a little milk. Stir well.
3. When the mixture becomes of a smooth consistency, add a little more milk and stir it till it again attains a smooth consistency.
4. Likewise, continue adding milk, till it 1 pint is used up.
5. Bring it to a boil, while stirring it continuously. Remove from heat when it is of a thick consistency.
6. Beat it well to remove all lumps and give a gloss to the sauce. If there are any more lumps, use a wire whisk to disintegrate it. If you want to make a coating sauce, use less milk as that will make it a thicker sauce.
7. White Sauce can be used as a base to make a variety of sauces like cheese sauces and casserole dishes.