Quail In Rose Petal Sauce
|Lime||1 , sliced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), sliced|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For rose petal sauce|
|Roses||12 (Red / Pink Fragrant, Petals Only)|
|Sweet plums||2 Large, seeded and chopped|
|Water||8 Fluid Ounce (1 Cup / 250 Milliliter)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
1. To cook quail, place a slice of lime and a slice of garlic in the cavity of each bird. Truss birds and place in a baking dish. Brush with oil, sprinkle with black pepper and bake at 180° C / 350°F / Gas 4 for 20-25 minutes or until quail are tender.
2. To make sauce, place rose petals and plums in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Set aside. Make a cross in base of each chestnut, place in a hot frying pan or comal and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until shells split and open.
3. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add chestnuts and boil for 20 minutes. Drain chestnuts and remove shells and skins. Add chestnuts and the 1 cup / 250 ml / 8 fl oz water to rose puree and process until smooth.
4. Melt butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, add garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add rose puree and honey, bring to simmering and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Place birds on a serving platter, spoon over sauce and garnish with additional rose petals, if desired.