This deep golden glazed duck recipe is perfect for any holiday table. Matched with the intensely subtle sweetness of port and tang of dried cherries this will be an easy change for family and friends.
5 Pound (1 whole duck)
1 Large, finely chopped (+ 2 shallots, halved)
2 Medium, minced
2 Cup (32 tbs) (ruby red port wine)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1) Trim excess skin and fat from duck and reserve for another use. Using fork, pierce skin all over. Place duck on rack in roasting pan; set aside.
2) Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
3) In small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallot and garlic for about 6 minutes or until softened.
4) Add port and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
5) Sprinkle duck with salt, inside cavity and on skin. Place sage leaves and shallots into duck cavity.
6) Remove about 1/2 cup of the port mixture and brush all over duck. Add dried cherries into remaining port and set aside.
7) Place duck in centre of the preheated oven and roast for about 3 hours or until skin is crisp and golden brown.
8) Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
9) Reheat port and cherries and serve with duck.
If you are still not sure about what to serve on the holiday table, here is something attractive for your guests. Roasted duck in port cherry sauce is definitely going to be the main attraction of the menu, if prepared perfectly. For that, you need to watch the video and learn the secret tips. Do that and enjoy a great holiday dinner.