Roasted Duck in Port Cherry Wine Sauce
|Duck||5 Pound (1 whole duck)|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||1 Large, finely chopped (+ 2 shallots, halved)|
|Garlic clove||2 Medium, minced|
|Port||2 Cup (32 tbs) (ruby red port wine)|
|Sage leaves||12 Large|
|Dried cherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Trim excess skin and fat from duck and reserve for another use. Using fork, pierce skin all over. Place duck on rack in roasting pan; set aside.
2) Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
3) In small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallot and garlic for about 6 minutes or until softened.
4) Add port and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
5) Sprinkle duck with salt, inside cavity and on skin. Place sage leaves and shallots into duck cavity.
6) Remove about 1/2 cup of the port mixture and brush all over duck. Add dried cherries into remaining port and set aside.
7) Place duck in centre of the preheated oven and roast for about 3 hours or until skin is crisp and golden brown.
8) Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
9) Reheat port and cherries and serve with duck.
Calories 892 Calories from Fat 540
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.2%
Saturated Fat 19.2 g96.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 302.4 mg100.8%
Sodium 566.4 mg23.6%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.5%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4.1%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 67 g134.5%
Vitamin A 66.5% Vitamin C 62.5%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 94.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet