Chicken With Vinegar Cream Sauce
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken||3 Pound, cut into serving pieces (1 Whole)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and minced|
|Carrots||4 Large, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Heat the butter and oil in a heavy 12- or 14-inch skillet over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook uncovered, turning the pieces once or twice, until browned—about 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, carrots, and onion, and reduce the heat to moderate. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
3. Pour off and discard the fat from the skillet. Add the vinegar, raise the heat to moderately high, and cook uncovered, until almost all of the vinegar has evaporated—3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Nearly all of the liquid will evaporate.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the sour cream, and serve.