Fillet Roast of Beef with Pepper Sauce
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tbsp cracked green or black peppercorns
1. In a bowl or jar, combine oregano, thyme, celery seed, marjoram, garlic powder, salt and peppercorns. Rub seasoning mix on all sides of fillet to coat completely. (Store any remaining mixture in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry cupboard for up to 6 months.)
2. Place beef on a plate; cover lightly with waxed paper. Allow to stand in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
4. Place fillet on rack of shallow roasting; pan and roast in oven for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 325°F (160°C) and roast for another 30 minutes, until rare, or 40 minutes, until medium rare.
6. Remove to a warm platter. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve with Pepper Sauce.