Herrings With Mustard Sauce
|Butter/Margarine||3 1⁄2 Ounce (90 Grams)|
|Flour||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Mustard powder||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon Leveled)|
|Malt vinegar||4 Teaspoon|
|Single cream||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Herrings||4 Large, cleaned and heads removed|
|Watercress||3 (For Garnish)|
1. Put the butter into a medium ovenproof glass bowl and microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds until the butter melts. Stir in the flour and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds and whisk well. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes until the sauce boils, whisking every minute.
2. Blend the mustard powder with the vinegar and stir into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cream. Cover the surface of the sauce closely with cling film to prevent a skin forming and set aside.
3. Scrape the scales from the herrings with the back of a knife, and remove the fins. Slash the skin three times on each side of each herring, season well with salt and pepper. Beat the remaining butter in a bowl until soft and spread on both sides of the fish.
4. Place the herrings in a shallow ovenproof serving dish. Loosely cover with cling film and microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes. Turn over the herrings and re-position. Loosely cover with cling film and microwave on HIGH for a further 2-3 minutes until the flesh flakes easily. Remove the herrings from the oven and keep warm.
5. Reheat the mustard sauce on HIGH for 2-3 minutes, whisking every minute. Pour some of the sauce over the fish and serve the rest separately. Garnish with watercress.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3195 Calories from Fat 1918
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 216 g331.6%
Saturated Fat 86.3 g431.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 989.2 mg329.7%
Sodium 1251.8 mg52.2%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.6%
Sugars 23.9 g
Protein 241 g482.1%
Vitamin A 87.4% Vitamin C 20.2%
Calcium 131.4% Iron 102.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet