Sweetbreads In Poulette Sauce
|Veal sweetbreads||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken flavor bouillon cube/Envelope||1|
|Half and half||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Thin white bread slices||6 , toasted|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Wash sweetbreads. To precook, in 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat sweetbreads, 4 cups water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer sweetbreads 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Rinse sweetbreads with running cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Remove membrane. Cut out veins and connective tissue. Cut sweetbreads into 1-inch pieces.
3. In same saucepan, over medium heat, into hot butter or margarine, stir flour until blended; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in chicken-flavor bouillon, half-and-half, pepper, 2/3 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly; reduce heat to low.
4. In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly; into egg yolks, stir small amount of hot sauce; slowly pour egg mixture back into the sauce; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (do not boil). Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add sweetbreads and heat through.
5. To serve, place a slice of toast on each of 6 dinner plates; top with some sweetbreads mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2161 Calories from Fat 758
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 84 g129%
Saturated Fat 41.2 g205.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 997 mg332.3%
Sodium 4694.2 mg195.6%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.8%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 234 g468.4%
Vitamin A 64.7% Vitamin C 47.2%
Calcium 26.1% Iron 20.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet