Chicken Reuben Sandwich
|Granny smith apple||1|
|Pickled beets||16 Ounce, sliced|
|Sliced pickled beets||16 Ounce (1 jar)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Rye bread slice||6|
|Seedless rye bread slices||6|
|Swiss cheese slices||8|
|Swiss cheese slice||8|
|Chicken slices/Smoked turkey slices||8 , roasted|
1. To prepare the apple core, peel and cut it into 1/2-inch dice and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Draining the beets, rinse them under cold water, drain them again and pat them dry.
3. Toss the beets together with the apples in the bowl to combine.
4. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. To prepare the sauerkraut drain it, rinse it and squeeze out the excess moisture.
6. For each sandwich, spread 1 slice of rye bread with a quarter of the sauerkraut and add 2 slices of the Swiss cheese and 2 slices of the chicken.
7. With another slice of rye bread cover this layer and layers of sauerkraut, cheese and chicken.
8. Top with a slice of rye and press down.
9. Just before eating in a skillet large enough to comfortably hold the sandwiches melt the butter over medium heat.
10. When the foaming subsides, add the sandwiches, set another heavy skillet on top to press them down and cook over low heat until the bottom side is brown and crusty and the cheese is beginning to melt, about 2 minutes.
11. Turning the sandwiches over, set the second skillet on top and cook until the second side is brown and crusty and the cheese is completely melted for 2 minutes more.
12. Remove the sandwiches from the heat and slice each one in half.
13. Serve the sandwiches with the beet and apple salad.