Chocolate Sponge Sandwich
|White self raising flour||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Margarine||6 Ounce, softened (175 Gram)|
|Cocoa||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Warm water||2 Tablespoon|
1. Grease 2 8 inch cake tins with oil, butter or baking spray.
2. Line the base of the tins with a circle of grease proof paper; this will help to unmould the cake and to give a smooth surface to the cake.
3. Preheat the oven to 325° F, 160° C
4. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together.
5. In a large basin, use an electric beater or wire whisk to cream the fat and sugar for 5 minutes or until the light and creamy.
6. Add eggs, one at a time and beat into the cream until incorporated. If the mixture curdles, add a little flour.
7. Add sifted ingredients, in three batches, and use a spatula to fold gently into the mixture in figure 8 movements, until well incorporated. Over working the batter or beating it will result in a flat and dense cake. The batter must be light and fluffy.
8. Lastly add hot water to adjust the consistency of the batter.
9. Divide the batter into the prepared cake tins.
10. Tap the tins very lightly on a flat surface to ensure that the batter has spread evenly to all corners.
11. Place the cake tins on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes have risen and are lightly browned. The cake must be springy to touch and leaving the sides of the tin.
12. Remove tins from the oven and invert them on a wire rack. Allow the cakes to cool completely before icing or glazing.
13. You can use this basic cake for making layered cakes or cut into pieces and serve with tea.
Calories 541 Calories from Fat 272
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.9 mg42.3%
Sodium 573.3 mg23.9%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.2%
Sugars 34.3 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 27.3% Vitamin C 0.06%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 11.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet