|Packed brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (dissolved in little milk)|
|Ginger filling||1 Tablespoon (freshly whipped cream)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F
2. Grease two 7-inch sandwich tins with butter.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the syrup, dissolved in two tablespoons of boiling water.
5. Blend thoroughly, until light and fluffy.
6. Add the evaporated milk and thoroughly beat till the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy.
7. Sift in the dry ingredients. Blend lightly but thoroughly.
8. Lastly, add the dissolved Bi-carb.
9. Pour equal quantities of the batter into the sandwich tins.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until spongy to touch
11. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
12. When cold, sandwich together with a ginger filling or freshly whipped cream, or a mock cream filling.
13. Cut into squares and serve at teatime.