I came up with this dish years ago when my son was a little boy and money was often tight; and despite its simple and frugal ingredients, it's remained a mainstay in our home that I prepare frequently during the autumn and winter.
Frozen hash brown potatoes
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
1 Medium, diced
Canned sockeye salmon
20 Ounce, skin and bones removed (2 tins or 1- cooked salmon fillet, shredded)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (low fat version can also be used)
Cream of mushroom soup
10 Ounce (1 can)
Sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded
Panko bread crumbs
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a bowl add frozen hash browns and melted butter. Stir to mix. Add the salmon and mix again. Put in the diced onions and continue to stir.
4. Add the sour cream and mushroom soup. Season with dill, salt and pepper. Mix them well. Add the egg into this bowl and stir well till all are combined.
5. Spread this mixture into the prepared baking dish evenly and sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs on top.
6. Bake for around 1 hour or till completely done. Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes, for the juices to settle, before slicing to serve.
7. In a serving plate, serve the salmon and potato casserole hot with salad or sautéed veggies or as it is.