Heart-Shaped Blini with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Caper Sour Cream
|For blini batter|
|Active dry yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||2 Tablespoon (110 to 115 Degree F)|
|Warm milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (soy, rice or dairy milk 110 to 115 Degree F)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Buckwheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Redwood hill farm plain kefir||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Earth balance buttery spread||6 Tablespoon (use 1/4 cup for cooking)|
|Eggs||2 Large, separated|
|For lemon caper sour cream|
|Sour cream||12 Ounce (1 container Green Valley Organics)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), pressed or finely minced to make 1 teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||2 Tablespoon (fresh)|
|Chopped fresh dill||2 Tablespoon (plus more for garnish)|
|Finely chopped red onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped capers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (plus more for garnish)|
|Freshly cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Thinly sliced smoked salmon||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 36 bite size pieces|
1. Stir together yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl to dissolve. Stir in milk and let stand 5 to 7 minutes, until frothy.
2. Sift flours and salt in to a separate bowl. Whisk in yeast mixture, then whisk in Redwood Hill Farm Plain Kefir, melted butter and egg yolks. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, set in a warm place and allow to rise for one hour.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter,cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 minutes longer. The batter should be bubbly.
4. While the batter rises, whisk together sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, onion and capers in a small bowl. Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place batter in a squeeze bottle using a funnel. Add a tablespoon of melted buttery spread and swirl the pan to coat evenly.
6. Squeeze the batter into the outline of a heart and fill in the heart outline with batter. Cook about1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles appear, flip and cook 30 seconds longer.
7. Place cooked blini on aparchment-lined baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve. Serve topped with smoked salmon and a dollop of Lemon Caper Sour Cream.
Chef’s Make-Ahead Tip:
To freeze blini, place parchment paper between each blini, wrap in plastic wrap and foil. To reheat, arrange blini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and warm in a 300°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
PER SERVING (3 blinis): 192 CAL; 8G PROT; 10G TOTAL FAT (6G SAT. FAT); 16G CARB; 55MG CHOL; 324MG SOD; 1G FIBER; 2G SUGARS
This recipe was contributed by Green Valley Organics. To learn more about Green Valley Organics or where you can buy their products visit www.greenvalleylactosefree.com.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2779 Calories from Fat 1539
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 175 g268.5%
Saturated Fat 95.5 g477.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 868.1 mg289.4%
Sodium 4905.4 mg204.4%
Total Carbohydrates 215 g71.7%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g66.1%
Sugars 33.5 g
Protein 102 g203.6%
Vitamin A 149.3% Vitamin C 154.1%
Calcium 101.9% Iron 98.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet