Smoked Salmon or Mackerel
|Salmon/Salmon fillets or 2 1/2 pounds pan-dressed mackerel||4 (Steaks, About 1 Inch Thick)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl soak oak or hickory chips in water for 24 hours.
2. Baste fish with vegetable oil generously on both sides.
3. Sprinkle salt over it.
4. Refrigerate the fish.
5. Pile charcoal in one corner of grill to prepare charcoal fire. Let it burn for 15 to 20 minutes until flames die out and coals are white.
6. Drain out soaked hickory.
7. Add 6 to 8 pieces on the coals.
8. Keep fish on the opposite side of grill away from coals.
9. Cover with hood.
10. Open air vents in between.
11. Cook for 35 to 45 minutes.
12. Keep additional wood chips on coals if required.
13. Serve immediately.