Marinated Salmon En Croute
|Salmon fillets/Sea trout fillets||2 , skinned|
|Orange||1 , rind coarsely grated and juice squeezed|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped fresh dill/2 teaspoon dried dill weed||2 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon (for dusting and rolling)|
|Puff pastry||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 gram, ready made)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||12 Ounce, thawed and drained off excess moisture (350 gram)|
|Low fat soft cheese||4 Ounce (125 gram)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Spring onions||4 Ounce (125 gram)|
|Prawns||4 Ounce, cooked and peeled (125 gram)|
|Small scallops||4 Ounce (125 gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Fresh dill leaves||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|For orange butter sauce|
|Saffron strands||6 , crushed|
|Orange||1 , rind grated and juiced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Chilled butter||8 Ounce, chopped|
1. In a medium sized glass bowl, combine dill, 3 tablespoons orange juice and ground pepper. Mix well and rub on to salmon fillets.
2. Cling wrap and marinate for 60 minutes.
3. Pre heat an oven at 200 C (400 F).
4. On floured surface, place pastry and roll out into a 15 inch x 8 inch rectangle. Reserve trimmings.
5. Place on a baking tray and prick uniformly with a fork.
6. Bake in pre heated oven for 15 minutes or till done.
7. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool on baking tray itself.
8. In a medium sized bowl, beat cheese.
9. Add spinach, salt and pepper. Mix well and keep aside.
10. In a small sauce pan, melt butter.
11. Add spring onions and sautÃ© on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till they start to soften.
12. Remove off flame and keep aside to cool.
13. Once cooled, add orange rind, salt, pepper, scallops and prawns. Mix well and keep aside.
14. On the cooled baked pastry, place a marinated fish fillet, skin side down.
15. Trim the pastry using a sharp knife, keeping ½ inch border on all sides.
16. Top fish fillet with spinach mixture and spread evenly.
17. Top with seafood mixture and another fish fillet, placing skin side up.
18. Brush edges with beaten egg.
19. On a floured surface, roll out remaining pastry thinly and place over baked pastry ensuring it-€™s completely covered. Keeping aside 1 inch border, trim off excess from uncooked pastry.
20. Tuck uncooked pastry underneath baked pastry.
21. Roll out trimmings again thinly and cut into strips.
22. Arrange strips over pastry to form lattice work and brush uniformly with beaten egg.
23. Make two gashes on uncooked pastry using a sharp knife and bake in pre heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till pastry is golden brown in colour.
24. Once baked, remove from oven and Keep aside.
25. Make the sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan, place water for simmering.
26. In a medium sized bowl, combine egg yolks, 4 tablespoons orange juice, rind, saffron and garlic. Mix well and place over gently simmering water.
27. Keep stirring continuously using a wooden spoon and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or till mixture start to thicken.
28. Add chopped butter gradually and keep mixing till all the butter has been incorporated.
29. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
30. Transfer on to a sauce boat and keep aside.
31. On a serving platter, place dill leaves. Top with baked fish and garnish with fruit slices. Serve hot with Orange Butter Sauce.