Red and White Salad
|Beet root||225 Gram, scrubbed (Fresh Pieces)|
|Eating apples||225 Gram, washed|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicory heads||2 , cut into 1 cm or 0.5 inch thick slices|
|Plain yogurt/Cultured buttermilk||150 Milliliter (Unsweetened Variety)|
|Pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard||1 Teaspoon (Mild Variety)|
|Sunflower oil||2 Teaspoon|
1. Boil or steam the beetroot for about 50 minutes until tender. Drain and dice.
2. Quarter and core the apple then cut into small cubes. Toss in the lemon juice immediately to avoid discoloration.
3. Mix the apple with the chicory in a serving dish.
4. Combine the yogurt or buttermilk, pepper, mustard, salt and oil in a jug. Spoon over the salad.
5. Stir in the beetroot just before serving, as its colour will quickly stain the other salad ingredients.
Calories 114 Calories from Fat 38
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.7%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.9 mg1.6%
Sodium 139.4 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.7%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 3 g6.5%
Vitamin A 36.1% Vitamin C 27.1%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet