Kipper and Apple Salad
|Kipper fillet||400 Gram|
|Fresh lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown rice||50 Gram, washed (Long Grain Variety)|
|Water||150 Milliliter (Around 0.25 Pint)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Apple||175 Gram (Red Skinned, Eating Variety)|
|Chinese leaves||500 Gram (One Head Around 1 pound)|
|Lemons||1 , cut into wedges|
1. Poach the kipper fillets for 1 minute in simmering water to cover.
2. Drain the kippers, scrape off the skin and cut the fish into bite-size pieces.
3. Place the fish in a glass or pottery dish and pour the lemon juice, oil and coriander (if using) over. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Bring the rice and water to the boil in a small saucepan. Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
5. Combine the rice, preferably while still warm, with the parsley and pepper.
6. To serve, shred the Chinese leaves and divide between 4 dinner plates. Top with spoonfuls of rice. Core and dice the unpeeled apple and arrange on top of the rice on each plate, along with the pieces of kipper. Garnish each plate with a lemon wedge if liked.
Calories 357 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g33.1%
Saturated Fat 0.97 g4.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 87.5 mg3.6%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 125% Vitamin C 141.5%
Calcium 16.8% Iron 11.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet