Wegmans Summer Tortellini Salad
|Cheese tortellini||20 Ounce (Italian Classics Six Cheese Tortellini)|
|Red sweet peppers||1 , cored, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)|
|Red onion||1 Small, peeled, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)|
|Asparagus||1⁄2 Pound, trimmed, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Basting oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Zucchini||1 Medium, trimmed, 1/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)|
|Pine nuts||3 Tablespoon|
|Grape tomatoes||1 Pint, halved|
|Basil pesto||6 Ounce (Italian Classics)|
|Tabasco sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||15 , chiffonade|
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Season pepper, onions, and asparagus with salt and pepper; toss with 1 tablespoon basting oil. Transfer to baking sheet; arrange in single layer. Roast 10-12 minutes; turn halfway through cooking time. Remove mixture from baking sheet and set aside.
3. In the meantime also cook pasta as per directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
4. Season zucchini with salt and pepper; toss with remaining 1 tablespoon basting oil. Transfer to baking sheet; arrange in single layer. Roast 5-7 minutes, until tender but not browned. Remove from oven. Add to remaining vegetables.
5. Chill vegetables for 1 hour.
6. Toast pine nuts in small pan on medium, about 3 minutes, stirring, until they are slightly toasted. Watch them carefully so that they don't burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
7. In a large bowl, add tomatoes, pesto, Tabasco sauce, basil, pine nuts, and vegetables to tortellini. Toss gently using two salad spoons. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. This salad is best when serve chilled.
Prepare the salad 1 day ahead to allow flavors to meld.
Tomato Pesto Sauce can be substituted for the basil pesto.