Quinoa and Pearled Barley Salad
|Quinoa||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||4 3⁄4 Cup (76 tbs), divided (1¾ cups for the quinoa and 3 cups for the barley)|
|Barley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Radish||10 Small, diced|
|Cucumber||1 Large, diced|
|Spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs), chiffonade|
|Basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chiffonade|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Extra virgin olive oil||4 Tablespoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Wine vinegar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Large (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Honey||1 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Regular salt||1 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
|Green bell pepper||1 Teaspoon (for the dressing ingredients)|
1. Rinse the quinoa and pearled barley.
2. Using two separate pots, add the quinoa and 1¾ cups of water to one pot and the barley and 3 cups of water to the other.
3. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and let cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until the grains have absorbed all of the liquid.
4. Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and put them in large mixing bowl.
5. Prepare the dressing by adding all of the dressing ingredients into a jar that has a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously.
6. When the quinoa and the barley have finished cooking, they can either be cooled in the refrigerator overnight or added directly to the chopped vegtables, (as this will wilt the spinach and basil).
7. Pour the dressing ingredient over the quinoa and pearled barley, toss the ingredients with the dressing to taste, add the Parmesan cheese, adding more or less of the dressing depending on preference.
8. Serve the quinoa and pearled barley salad in invivdual salad bowls.
Calories 508 Calories from Fat 196
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.9%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g17.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.5 mg2.8%
Sodium 703.6 mg29.3%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.6%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 15 g30.3%
Vitamin A 19.8% Vitamin C 21.2%
Calcium 20.7% Iron 19.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet