Chicken Pesto Rice Salad
|Chicken breast||12 Ounce|
|Garlic powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Canned artichoke hearts||14 Ounce, quartered|
|Grape tomatoes||1 Pint, washed and halved|
|Cooked brown rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Coarse sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon, crushed (to taste)|
1. Stir together the diced chicken, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over a medium high heat, add the seasoned chicken with a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté stirring occasionally for 7 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
4. To make the pesto add the garlic and sea salt to a mortar and pestle and crush them together until they have a paste like consistency.
5. Grate in the lemon zest. Add in the parsley, basil, and lemon juice.
6. Continue crushing the mixture until the basil and parsley are pretty well broken down then add the walnuts and red pepper flakes.
7. Continue crushing the mixture until the walnut pieces are as small as you want then add the olive oil and stir it all together then set aside.
8. Add the cooked rice to a large serving bowl. Pour over the pesto. Add the chicken, tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
9. Stir everything together and refrigerate.
10. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over Chicken Pesto Rice and serve.
For easier preparation substitute leftover cooked diced chicken breast in the recipe. You could also use a food processor instead of the mortar and pestle to prepare the pesto more quickly.