Barley is a whole grain cereal that is very high in protein and fiber. It is typically used for soups and stews and is a main ingredient in beer and whiskey. Barley is very healthy and is quite economical. It is also a low GI food – meaning it will not raise blood glucose. Here is a delicious salad that can be served as a light vegetarian or vegan meal or as a side for meats.
1 Small, chopped (seeded and cored)
2 Large, chopped (peeled)
2 Large, chopped
4 Medium, chopped
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1 Large, juiced
1. Rinse the barley in 4 to 5 waters – making sure to remove all impurities. Soak it for about 15 minutes.
2. Boil it in lightly salted water for about 20 minutes – until barley is soft but not mushy.
3. Drain it and shock it in cold running water to stop the cooking process. Keep aside.
4. Take a large bowl; place the cooled barley.
5. Add the vegetables and herbs. Mix well.
6. Pour the olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Taste it and adjust the flavors if necessary.
7. Serve it as a light vegetarian or vegan meal or as a side for meats.