Rainbow Carrot Salad
|Carrots||1 Pound (purple and orange carrots)|
|Golden beet||1 Large|
|Fuji apple||1 Large|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs) (mixed type)|
|Orange||1 Large, juiced|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Green onion bulbs||3 Small, minced (only the white portion)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Apple cider vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||8 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon, toasted (white)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon (or more)|
1. Wash and peel the carrots and beet.
2. Grate the carrots and beet either in a food processor or with a hand grater.
3. Wash and chop the apple into bite sized pieces.
4. Toast the walnut pieces in a dry frying pan.
5. To make the Poppy Seed Orange Dressing, in a blender or liquidizer jar, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, minced onion, dry mustard and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds. Then add the oil, apple cider vinegar, veganaise, and seeds. Blend until smooth.
6. Measure about 1 cup of the dressing and store the remaining dressing in a clean glass bottle in the refrigerator for another time.
7. In a large glass bowl, mix together all the prepared salad ingredients and toss with 1 cup of the poppy seed dressing
8. Chill the salad at least 4 hours or overnight.
9. Toss the salad well before serving it.
Vegenaise is available at supermarkets and natural food stores. Eggless mayonnaise is available at Trader Joes as” Reduced Fat Mayonnaise.”
Calories 451 Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.1%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 173.7 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.1 g40.4%
Sugars 35.3 g
Protein 6 g12.4%
Vitamin A 192.6% Vitamin C 38.3%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 15.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet