This is the Veggie Kitchen’s version of a potluck favorite. The purple and orange carrots plus the golden beet make this salad as eye catching as it is delicious.
1 Pound (purple and orange carrots)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (mixed type)
1 Large, juiced
Green onion bulbs
3 Small, minced (only the white portion)
Apple cider vinegar
Olive oil/Vegetable oil
2 Tablespoon, toasted (white)
1 Tablespoon (or more)
1. Wash and peel the carrots and beet.
2. Grate the carrots and beet either in a food processor or with a hand grater.
3. Wash and chop the apple into bite sized pieces.
4. Toast the walnut pieces in a dry frying pan.
5. To make the Poppy Seed Orange Dressing, in a blender or liquidizer jar, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, minced onion, dry mustard and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds. Then add the oil, apple cider vinegar, veganaise, and seeds. Blend until smooth.
6. Measure about 1 cup of the dressing and store the remaining dressing in a clean glass bottle in the refrigerator for another time.
7. In a large glass bowl, mix together all the prepared salad ingredients and toss with 1 cup of the poppy seed dressing
8. Chill the salad at least 4 hours or overnight.
9. Toss the salad well before serving it.
Vegenaise is available at supermarkets and natural food stores. Eggless mayonnaise is available at Trader Joes as” Reduced Fat Mayonnaise.”