Hot German Potato Salad
|Potatoes||2 Pound (large)|
|Bacon grease||4 Tablespoon (about 1/4 cup)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Apple cider vinegar||8 Tablespoon (about 1/2 cup)|
|Water||4 Tablespoon (about 1/4 cup)|
|Sauerkraut||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained (or more if your like)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (for garnish) (Optional)|
1. Wash ans scrub the potatoes.
2. Boil them in a large pot of salted water, until they are tender. Check by inserting the tip of a knife into the center of the largest potato.
3. Drain and cool the boiled potatoes. Peel them and cut into 1-inch cubes or bite size pieces. Set aside.
4. In a large pot, cook the bacon slices until all the fat is rendered and the bacon is brown and crisp. Remove bacon from the grease and set aside. When bacon is cooled, crumble and set aside.
5. To the bacon grease (about 4 tablespoons) add the chopped onion and saute it for about 8-10 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
6. Deglaze the pot by adding cider vinegar and water. Scrape the bottom of the pot to dislodge the browned bacon bits and onions. Bring the liquid to a boil.
7. Reduce the liquid by simmering for a few minutes.
8. Add the drained sauerkraut to the reduction. Cook for a few minutes until all the flavors have married together.
8. Pour the bacon-sauerkraut dressing over the diced potatoes. Add the crumbled bacon and salt and pepper.
9. Using a large spoon, toss the potatoes gently with the bacon and dressing until well coated.
10. Keep the potato salad hot by placing the pot/casserole in a warm oven, until you are ready to serve.
11. Serve the Hot German Potato Salad garnished with chopped parsley if you like.