Watch Toby Smithson (with some help) prepare this healthy and refreshing salad with the flavors of India, on loan from fellow Registered Dietitian Gita Patel and her new book "Blending Science with Spices".
1 Cup (16 tbs)
2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)
Red bell pepper
1 1⁄2 Small, cubed
Firm ripe mango
1 Medium, cut into small pieces
1 Small, minced
1 Large, zest grated and lemon juice squeezed
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped
1. In a pan, boil 1 cup of lentil in 2 ½ cups of water for about 50 minutes until just tender.
2. Drain and keep aside.
3. On the gas top, roast the red bell pepper until skin is charred.
4. Keep it in a closed container for few minutes to steam.
5. Remove the bell pepper and peel the skin off.
6. Cut the bell pepper into small pieces.
7. To the boiled lentils, add chopped bell pepper, mango, avocado, onion, grated lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh cilantro, salt, cayenne pepper and cumin powder; toss well to mix.
8. Plate the Lentil Salad with Avocado and Mango for a delicious side dish.