Eggplant is one of my most favorite vegetables. It’s hearty and lends itself to many styles of cooking and flavors.
On this episode, I will be highlighting two of my favorite eggplant recipes. First is a simply beautiful Grilled Vegetable Salad using veggies like yellow squash, red onions, green onions and of course, the almighty eggplant.
Then, I made a delicious Eggplant Roll Up using grilled eggplants. But this time, I slathered them with herbed goat cheese, smothered them in a quick homemade chunky tomato sauce, topped it with Parmesan cheese and baked it until the cheese started to melt.
Please See Video
Grilled vegetable salad
1) Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
2) Take an eggplant, a squash, a red onion and scallions.
3) Make big slices of eggplant, and squash. Chop the scallions into long and make thick rings of red onion.
3) Keep all the cut vegetables in a big bowl and add salt and pepper. Add olive oil and toss them well.
4) Heat the griller and add little olive oil. Put the cut vegetables on the griller.
5) Meanwhile, make homemade Dijon balsamic vinaigrette. Take a bowl and add Dijon mustard. Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Add little salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture and add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Continue whisking the mixture.
6) Take 1 head of romaine lettuce and chop it.
7) Keep the chopped lettuce in a big bowl and add the Dijon balsamic vinaigrette. Toss them well.
8) Cut the grilled vegetables (squash, onion, scallions and eggplant) finely and then add to the lettuce mixture.
9) Add little grated cheese over the salad.
10) Making eggplant rolls. Take the grilled eggplant slices, and take about half a tablespoon of the goat cheese and spread it on the surface of the eggplant. Gently roll the eggplant and place in the baking dish. Repeat for all the eggplant slices.
Heat a large sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes, until the onions become translucent. Add the tomatoes and oregano and red pepper flakes. Simmer on medium-low until the tomatoes start to break down. Season with salt and taste.
11) Take the sauce and pour it over the eggplants. Top with Parmesan cheese and place in the oven for 15 about 15-20; just until the cheese has melted.