1. Cook bacon.
2. While bacon cooks: wash spinach and radicchio.
3. Remove stems from spinach and chop radicchio.
4. Chop apple, onion, cheese and walnuts.
5. Remove bacon from pan and lay on paper towel to drain.
6. Remove most of the grease from the pan, reserving about 2 T.
7. Add olive oil to pan.
8. Add onions and apples, cook 3 minutes over med-heat.
9. Add honey, radicchio, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
10. Turn heat down a bit, and let radicchio wilt down. Add a little more olive oil if needed (to make enough dressing).
11. To serve, place half spinach on a plate, top with apple and onion mixture.
12. Mix slightly, then add cheese, bacon (crumble once it’s cooled), walnuts and parmesan.
13. Drizzle with a tiny bit more olive oil if desired.
14. Serve in a dish.
Serves 2 for a main dish, could serve 4 as a side salad.
Would be good topped with/alongside chicken, beef, or pork chops.
Serve with toasted whole grain bread, for a nice lunch or light dinner.
Apple could be substituted for pears (using less-ripe pears would be best so they don’t get too mushy). Apple could also be raw, instead of cooked. Or, you could do both cooked and raw apples!