Holiday Special Eggplant Salad Platter
|Eggplants||4 Pound, sliced diagonally into Â¼ inch thick slices (About 8 Medium Sized)|
|Grape tomatoes||1 Pint, rinsed (Firm)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, seeded, halved, then sliced into Â¼ inch thick long strips|
|Orange bell pepper||1 Large, seeded, halved, then sliced into Â¼ inch thick long strips|
|Yellow bell pepper||1 Large, seeded, halved, then sliced into Â¼ inch thick long strips|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced into strips (0.25 Pieces)|
|Cherry size mozzarella balls||3⁄4 Pound, drained (Fresh Mozzarella Ciliegine Style)|
|Fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped (Packed)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Additional For Brushing)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
1) Place rack in upper thirds of oven and set to broil.
2) Spray large baking tray with non-stick spray. In batches, place eggplant slices side by side.
3) Lightly sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper and lightly brush with olive oil on both sides.
4) Broil for 10-12 minutes total, turning once halfway through. (Eggplant should be lightly browned and cooked).
5) Repeat process with remaining eggplant slices. Set aside.
6) Place bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese in a medium sized bowl.
7) Add ½ cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, generously season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste.
8) Gently toss and set aside.
9) Arrange eggplant slices on a large oval or round platter, starting on the edge, slightly overlapping around the platter spiraling in. Use larger slices for edges, saving the smaller slices for the
10) Spoon bell pepper mixture in the center of the platter.
11) Drizzle remaining dressing liquid on outer eggplant slices and all over platter. Sprinkle entire platter with chopped basil.
12) Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving.
Use 2 large baking trays to alternate and speed eggplant cooking process.
Eggplant slices may be prepared on the BBQ. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, place on the grill and brush with olive oil while grilling, turning often.