Brown Rice and Vegetable Salad
|Uncooked brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut|
|Frozen english peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cucumber||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Sweet red pepper||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomato||1 Large, unpeeled, chopped|
|Unsalted sunflower kernels||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), toasted|
|Monterey jack cheese||4 Ounce, shredded (1 cup)|
|Italian reduced calorie salad dressing||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tarragon vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Without salt and butter, cook the rice according to directions on the package. Chill.
2) In a saucepan, add carrot, beans, and peas and cover with water.
3) Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, till crisp-tender.
4) Drain and cool.
5) In a bowl, add rice, carrot, beans, peas, cucumber, red pepper, tomato, sunflower kernels, and cheese.
6) Add the next 4 ingredients and stir well.
7) Pour over the salad, and gently toss.
8) Refrigerate till serving time.
9) Top over a bed of lettuce leaves.