Roast Duck with Orange Salad
|Duck||4 Pound (1 whole)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped thyme||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Honey||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Pint|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint|
1. Slice onions and celery, cook for a few minutes in a little butter and mix in herbs and seasoning, including grated rind of half an orange and the juice of a whole.
2. Rub skin of duck with butter and season.
3. In roasting pan heat oil, add duck baste with hot oil and roast for 20 minutes per pound, basting every 15 minutes.
4. During the last half hour, baste with melted honey such that honey produces a marvellous shiny brown skin.
5. To prepare the orange salad:
6. Remove thin orange skin from one orange with a peeler and cut into match like shreds.
7. In a saucepan of water boil for 3 minutes, drain, refresh under cold tap to restore color and leave to dry.
8. With a sharp serrated knife, remove pith and skin from oranges and cut in thin slices.
9. Place in overlapping circles in a glass dish.
10. In a bowl mix salt, sugar and pepper with oil, then add lemon juice.
11. Spoon dressing over oranges, sprinkle orange shreds over top and chill in refrigerator.
12. Remove the cooked duck from oven and keep warm on serving dish.
13. Pour off excess fat, pour red wine and stock into roasting pan.
14. Bring to the boil, cook until well flavored and add seasoning.
15. Add a little lemon juice if the gravy is too sweet because of the honey and serve.
Calories 1448 Calories from Fat 883
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 99 g151.6%
Saturated Fat 28.8 g143.9%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 379.9 mg126.6%
Sodium 498.5 mg20.8%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.5%
Sugars 32.5 g
Protein 83 g166.7%
Vitamin A 29.1% Vitamin C 214.3%
Calcium 15.8% Iron 111.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet