Southern, Homestyle Chicken Salad
|Celery stalk||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|White onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||3 , flattened|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mayonnaise||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs) (1 cup Dukes+ 3/4 cup Helmans)|
|Sweet relish||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Celery salt||To Taste|
|Croissant||8 Medium (butter bakery)|
|Lettuce leaves||8 Small|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, sliced thinly|
1. Take the flattened chicken breast and season with black pepper, celery salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
2. In a pot or deep pan, pour chicken broth and bring it to simmer on medium heat.
3. Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the broth, cover and let it simmer for 7 minutes per side or until just done. Do not overcook.
4. Remove from broth and let it cool completely.
5. Once cooled shred the chicken either with hands or fork and set aside.
6. In another pot bring water to boil. Place the eggs and simmer for another 11 minutes covered.
7. Once done and cooled, peel the eggs and dice them. Set aside.
8. In a bowl, add the onions, celery, chicken pieces and eggs. Stir them well to combine.
9. Add the mayonnaise and mix well to coat all. Stir in the sweet relish to incorporate.
10. Season the salad with black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and celery salt. Mix well till all are incorporated.
11. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate at least for 1 hour before serving (ideal is overnight).
12. In a serving plate, place bottom half of a croissant. Put lettuce leaves, tomatoes on top of each other. Spread the chicken salad generously and cover with he other half. Serve chilled.
Calories 568 Calories from Fat 422
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.2%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229.7 mg76.6%
Sodium 721.9 mg30.1%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.3%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 23 g45.1%
Vitamin A 27.1% Vitamin C 13.1%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet