|For the salad|
|Chopped romaine lettuce||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), cleaned|
|Caesar dressing||2 Ounce|
|For the topping|
|Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Egg yolk||2 (Raw)|
|Pimiento slices||4 (thin)|
|Anchovy fillets||2 , cut into half|
|For caesar croutons|
|Clarified butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Chopped fresh herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Caesar croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For caesar dressing|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Ounce|
|Canola oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pure olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled|
|Anchovy fillets||10 (Italian Style)|
|Grated parmigianino reggiano cheese||2 2⁄3 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||3⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||3⁄4 Tablespoon|
|White bread slice||6 , crusts removed and cut into 1/4-inch squares|
Note: At Keens the waiters dress the salad and add the garnishes tableside.
The recipe makes one large salad portion. You’ll have leftover dressing and croutons. Executive Chef Bill Rodgers also recommends using this delicious salad dressing for marinating grilled chicken.
1. Make the salad: Place lettuce in a serving bowl. Toss with dressing.
2. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, garnish with egg yolk, pimento, anchovy filets, and croutons and toss well.
Yield: 1 large salad
1. Make the dressing: Combine the water and lemon juice in a measuring cup and set aside.
2. Combine canola and olive oils in a measuring cup and set aside.
3. In the blender, combine the remaining ingredients and mix for 10 seconds. With the blender running, slowly begin to add the combined oils in a slow and steady stream. As you continue to add the oil, the mixture will begin to thicken. When the mixture thickens, thin it out with 1/3 of the water/lemon juice mixture. Repeat this process until all the oil has been incorporated.
4. Chill dressing until cold.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups dressing
Note: Place the bread in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before slicing to make it easier to cut even squares.
Whole melted butter can be substituted for the clarified butter, but will brown the croutons faster. To make clarified butter, melt 4 tablespoons of butter slowly in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit until it separates. Skim off the foam that rises to the top, and gently pour the butter off of the milk solids, which will have settled to the bottom.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Toss bread cubes in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
2. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or just until slightly browned and crisp. Let cool at room temperature before serving. Store covered in an airtight container.
Yield: Croutons for 6 large Caesar salads
This recipe is excerpted from The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook written by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin. The recipe courtesy goes to Executive Chef Bill Rodgers, Keens’ Steakhouse, New York, New York.
Check out the Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook Facebook page here!
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5567 Calories from Fat 4182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 477 g733.5%
Saturated Fat 76.4 g381.9%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 802.3 mg267.4%
Sodium 7313.1 mg304.7%
Total Carbohydrates 228 g76.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.1%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 93 g186.4%
Vitamin A 353.1% Vitamin C 120.2%
Calcium 38% Iron 35.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet