Easter Petal Salad
|Hard cooked eggs||7 , shelled|
|Food coloring||1 (Green, red and yellow)|
|Boston lettuce head||1|
|Green pepper||1 , halved, seeded, and cut in strips|
|Bacon slices||6 , diced and crisply cooked|
|Dill pickles||2 Cup (32 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Dill pickle juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (more to taste)|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh dill sprig||3|
To make the Dill Dressing:
1. In a blender blend all the ingredients to make dill dressing and chill for about 2 hours.
2. Set aside 1 of the hard-cooked eggs for garnish.
To tint the eggs:
3. Into 3 custard cups pour cold water to fill each 3/4 full, tint water green, red and yellow with a few drops of each food coloring so that the water is a few shades darker than you wish eggs to be.
4. Place 1 egg in each cup and let it stand, turning several times for even coloring, a few minutes or until delicately tinted.
5. With a slotted spoon Lift out the eggs and drain on paper toweling.
6. Repeat with remaining eggs, place all in a bowl, cover and chill.
7. Break lettuce into bite-size pieces.
8. In a shallow large bowl, combine the broken lettuce pieces with green-pepper strips.
9. Sprinkle with cooked bacon and stand tinted eggs around edge.
10. Make 6 cuts lengthwise in saved egg with a sharp-tip knife, starting at pointed end and cutting not quite to bottom.
11. Fold "petals" back carefully and remove yolk and place white in center of salad, spreading "petals" flat.
12. Press egg yolk through a sieve into center and serve with dill dressing.