Walnut Beet Grapefruit and Endive Salad
|Corn oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||24 Clove (120 gm), peeled|
|Grapefruit||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Lemon||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Orange||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Grapefruit zest||1 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Belgian endive head||8 Ounce (2 nos.)|
|Watercress||21 Ounce (3 bunches)|
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Pound, cooked, peeled and cut into thin wedges|
|Ruby grapefruit||3 , cut into sections|
|Walnut halves||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), lightly toasted|
|Walnut oil||2 Tablespoon|
1) Garlic Oil : In a medium saucepan, heat the corn oil and garlic cloves over a medium heat for about 30 minutes.
2) Allow the oil to cool to room temperature, then strain both oil and garlic; keep aside.
3) Grapefruit & Sherry Vinaigrette : In a small pan, stir the citrus juices and sugar together over a medium-high heat.
4) Bring to a boil, then simmer until the liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons; allow to cool.
5) Stir in the grapefruit zest and both the vinegars.
6) Whisk in the olive oil and 1/4 cup of the reserved garlic oil; blend thoroughly.
7) Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
8) Salad : Arrange endive leaves on a plate in a square like Lincoln logs.
9) Place the watercress loosely in the center of the endives.
10) Top the watercress with beets and grapefruit sections and drizzle with 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
11) Sprinkle the toasted walnut halves all over the salad.
12) Drizzle the Walnut Beet Grapefruit and Endive Salad with walnut oil and serve immediately.
Calories 1828 Calories from Fat 1535
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 174 g268.1%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.3%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 312.8 mg13%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.1%
Dietary Fiber 19.6 g78.2%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 13 g27%
Vitamin A 126.4% Vitamin C 240.6%
Calcium 34.8% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet