Strawberry Coconut Salad
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Salt - a dash
Milk - 2 cups
Eggs - 2 nos, large, separated
Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
Rum Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Flaked Coconut - 1 cup
Whipping Cream - 1 cup
Fresh Strawberries - 1 pint, hulled
1) Over a double broiler, add gelatin, sugar and salt. Place the broiler over hot water.
2) Add in the milk slowly and mix till the gelatin dissolves.
3) In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Whisk in about 1/2 cup of the gelatin mixture into the egg yolks.
4) Transfer the mixture back to the broiler. While stirring constantly stir the mixture till it thickens, coating the back of the spoon.
5) Take the apparatus out from the flame. Let cool down.
6) Add in the vanilla extract, rum extract and flaked coconuts, once the mixture has cooled.
7) In a bowl, beat the egg whites stiff but not dry.
8) Add in the cream into the egg whites and beat to get soft peaks.
9) Fold the mixture into the gelatin and coconut mixture.
10) Transfer the mixture into a 6 1/2-cup mould. Chill till it firms up.
11) Unmould the Strawberry Coconut Salad over a platter. Garnish with hulled strawberries and more flaked coconut if desired.