Roasted Tomato and Pepper Salad
|Ripe firm tomatoes||4 Large|
|Green bell peppers||3 Large|
|Strained lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Finely chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Mediterranean black olives||12|
1. Preheat an oven to 200C (400F).
2. On a large baking tray, place tomatoes and peppers and roast in middle rack of pre heated oven for 20 minutes. Ensure that you keep turning the vegetables for even roasting on all sides.
3. Remove tomatoes post 20 minutes and roast peppers for 20 more minutes, while turning them occasionally.
4. Peel roasted tomatoes and slice those half ways.
5. Scoop out seeds and juice and discard. Chop remaining tomatoes. Keep aside.
6. Once peppers are roasted, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
7. Peel off roasted pepper skin and discard stem and seeds.
8. Chop remaining peppers finely and keep aside.
9. In a presentation bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, chopped peppers, lemon juice, onions, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
10. Drizzle olive oil and top with black olives.
11. Serve Slata Mechouia/ Roasted Tomato and Pepper Salad as an accompaniment to fried fish or as an appetizer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 838 Calories from Fat 547
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.7%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3700.1 mg154.2%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.6%
Dietary Fiber 19.4 g77.7%
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 12 g23.7%
Vitamin A 161.3% Vitamin C 886%
Calcium 14.8% Iron 25%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet