Roasted Green Pepper Salad
|Green peppers||2 Pound (6 Medium Sized)|
|For basil vinaigrette|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dried basil leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Belgian endives||4 , washed and drained|
|Escarole||1 , washed and drained|
|Red onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, each cut into 8 wedges|
1. Roast the peppers by placing them on a baking sheet.
2. Broil them by placing the sheet 6 inches from the heat and turning every 5 minutes with tongs, until the skin of the peppers is blistered and charred and peeling
3. Place the hot peppers in a Dutch oven and cover.
4. Let stand for 15 minutes to cool and then with a sharp knife, peel off the charred skin.
5. Cut each pepper into 1-inch strips and then remove the seeds and ribs. Wash and drain and set aside till required.
6. In a large bowl, prepare the basil vinaigrette by combining the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and basil and mix well
7. Add green-pepper strips to the bowl and toss to coat well.
8. Pack the peppers into a jar and chill overnight.
9. Separate the endive leaves and store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator with the escarole till required.
10. Just before serving, arrange the endive and the escarole around the edge of the chilled serving dish.
11. Drain the roasted peppers and set the drained dressing aside.
12. Curl the peppers in the center of the dish and surround the peppers with onion slices, and tomato wedges.
13. Serve immediately with the dressing on the side.