White Bean and Tuna Salad
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salad oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Carrots||1 , pared|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced on the diagonal|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Romaine head||1⁄2 , washed and crisped|
|Tuna||2 Can (20 oz), drained and chilled|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, thinly sliced, chilled (Unpeeled)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, sliced into 6 pieces, chilled|
|Pitted black olives||12 , chilled|
1) In a jar with a tight lid, add in oil, vinegar, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, pepper and garlic. Shake the jar well to combine all the ingredients.
2) Rinse the beans and drain. Add into a kettle and cover with enough cold water. Let rest for 4 to 5 hours.
3) Add in 1 quart water to cover the beans. Cook on medium flame on simmer. Add in the carrot, bay leaf, thyme and salt. Cook covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till the vegetables become tender.
4) Drain the vegetables. Slice the carrots into 1/4-inch pieces and keep them aside.
5) In a large shallow dish, add warm beans, vinegar dressing, green onion, celery, parsley and carrot. Toss lightly to combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate the dish for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
6) To assemble the salad, line a large serving platter with romaine leaves. Place a mound of the marinated beans in the centre of the plate.
7) Arrange the chilled tuna, cucumber and tomato in small mounds on the edge of the plate.
8) Garnish the salad with pitted black olives.