Flamed Fruit Salad
|Fresh fruits||1 Cup (16 tbs) (firm, a selection of apple, banana, cherries and orange, Clementine, pear, peach, strawberries and grapes)|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), flaked|
1) Chop the fruits into small pieces and prepare them for cooking.
2) In a bowl put all the fruits and mix these together.
3) Grate lemon and squeeze out juice.
4) Add lemon juice to fruits.
5) In a saucepan, put the butter and sugar.
6) Heat without stirring, until the sugar caramelizes and becomes light brown.
7) This will take about 5 minutes.
8) To the fruits, add the grated lemon rind and almonds.
9) Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the caramel and nuts are golden brown.
10) Remove pan from the heat.
11) Add juices from mixed fruits and stir until caramel becomes a smooth syrup.
12) Add the fruit and heat through for about 5 minutes, turning the mixture over frequently to distribute the syrup.
13) Remove the pan from heat.
14) In a metal ladle, warm rum then set alight and pour over fruit.
15) Serve the flamed fruit salad immediately with whipped cream or ice cream.
Calories 481 Calories from Fat 255
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.9%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.3 mg10.8%
Sodium 2.2 mg0.1%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.8%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 8 g16.3%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 24.8%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet