Quatorze's Chicory And Bacon Salad
|Shallots||2 , minced|
|Dijon mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bacon slab||2⁄3 Pound, cut into cubes|
|French bread loaf||1⁄2 , crust removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Chicory head||1 , torn into large pieces to make about 6 cups (Curly Endive)|
1) In a small bowl, add shallots, mustard, vinegar and pepper to whisk together. Gradually pour in olive oil in a thin stream and continue whisking.
2) In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat for 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
3) With a slotted spoon, remove from the skillet and set aside.
4) Discard all fat by reserving 1/4 cup. Place the bread cubes in the hot bacon fat to sautÃ© over moderately high heat, tossing until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
5) Return the bacon to the skillet and toss until heated through.
6) Stir in the dressing, after removing from heat.
7) In a large bowl, add the chicory. Pour in hot dressing; add bacon and bread cubes to toss well.
8) In a salad plate, serve the salad and season with light salt.