Cold Cucumber Fettuccine Salad
|Seedless cucumbers||2 , unpeeled (European Variety)|
|Coarse kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Oriental sesame oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Light olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely cracked pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Scallions||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm), cut into thin 2-inch strips (Use 1 Small Bunch)|
|Thin smoked ham slices||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips as long as possible (Such As Black Forest)|
1) With the 1/4-inch julienne blade of a mandoline, bring out long strands of the cucumbers along the length. Carefully cut the cucumber, by leaving the seed core part.
2) Alternatively, with a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler, cut long, thin ribbons of cucumber, without cutting the seed core. Roll up the ribbons and thinly slice the cylinders crosswise to make long, thin strips.
3) In a colander over a bowl or in the sink, place the cucumber.
4) Season with salt and toss well. Allow the cucumber to drain for 30 minutes.
5) Rinse under cold running water and then drain on paper towels.
6) Use a heavy medium skillet, preferably nonstick, to brush with some of the sesame oil.
7) Place over heat to simmer and pour in 2 to 3 tablespoons of the egg.
8) Immediately swirl the egg to cover the pan surface. Cook this for 2 minutes, or until set but not browned.
9) Flip over to cook the other side for another 15 seconds or until dry.
10) Over the working surface, slide the egg pancake and let cool.
11) Use the remaining egg to make another 3 egg pancakes.
12) When the pancakes cool down, roll up these and cut into crosswise slices at 1/4-inch intervals to make thin strips.
13) In a small bowl, combine remaining sesame oil (about 1 teaspoon), olive oil, vinegar, mustard and pepper; whisk the mixture until blended.
14) In a serving bowl, add the strips of cucumber, egg, scallion and ham. Toss well by adding the dressing and serve immediately at room temperature.
Calories 208 Calories from Fat 155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.9%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 1231.3 mg51.3%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g1.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 4.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet