Beet And Chicory Salad
|Fresh beets||3 Pound|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon (Of 1 Whole Lemon)|
|Lemons||2 , juiced|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Chicory head||1 , torn into bite-size pieces (Curly Endive)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine vinaigrette||1 Fluid Ounce (Use As Needed)|
|Coarsely chopped toasted walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 450°.
2) Discard the leafy tops of the beets, if any, leaving 1- to 2-inch stems.
3) Wash beets in running water and shake off most of the water.
4) Tightly wrap with aluminum foil.
5) In a baking pan, place the foil package.
6) Place inside oven and bake until the beets are just tender, about 45 minutes.
7) Open the foil and cool the beets to room temperature.
8) Peel the beets, when these are easy to handle.
9) Cut the beets in halves along the length and then cut along the width into 1/4-inch half-rounds.
10) In a large bowl, place the beet and add the salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, and enough olive oil to coat the ingredients lightly.
11) Toss properly and keep aside for at least 20 minutes, or up to several hours, at room temperature to marinate.
12) In another bowl, place the chicory and parsley. Pour in enough of Red Wine Vinaigrette so that the leaves are lightly and evenly coated.
13) In a serving bowl or platter, arrange the chicory nicely.
14) Place the sliced beets over the greens.
15) Sprinkle the walnuts over the salad.
16) Drizzle in the remaining marinade, if any, over the beets, just before serving.
Calories 182 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.6%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 328.9 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 4 g8.2%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 39.2%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet