Hoppin John Salad
|Chopped escarole||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned black-eyed peas||6 Ounce, rinsed, drained|
|Smoked ham||2 Ounce, cooked and diced|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Instant rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked|
|Seeded diced tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Country dijon style mustard||1 Teaspoon|
1) In a 1-quart ovenproof shallow casserole, mix together the escarole, peas, ham, water, and onion.
2) With a vented plastic wrap, cover the casserole.
3) On high power, microwave this for 4 minutes. You should rotate the casserole 1/2 turn, when halfway through cooking.
4) To this, add the rice and tomato. Mix well and keep aside.
5) In another small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
6) To the escarole-pea mixture in the casserole, add this and mix well.
7) Cover again and refrigerate for 30 minutes. By now, the flavors will blend well.
8) The Hoppin John Salad is perfect for a New Year's party at home. Serve fresh.