Avocado and Veal Salad with Walnuts
|Boneless veal shank/Shoulder||3 Pound|
|Carrots||3 Medium, cut into 2 inch lengths|
|Celery ribs||2 , cut into 2 inch lengths|
|Onions||3 Medium, unpeeled and quartered|
|Parsley stems||12 (From About 1/2 Bunch)|
|Garlic cloves||4 Medium, unpeeled|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Walnut oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnut pieces||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sherry wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped green peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
1) In a stockpot, put the veal, carrots, celery, onions, parsley stems, garlic, black peppercorns, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
2) Pour in water to cover.
3) Place over heat to simmer, skimming, until the meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
4) Remove the meat and allow cooling down.
5) Shred the meat into pieces about 1/2 by 2 inches, so that it becomes around 3 1/2 packed cups.
6) Toss the veal with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 2 tablespoons of the walnut oil; set aside.
7) Pit and peel the avocados and cut each half lengthwise into 8 slices. Place aside.
8) In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the walnut oil to toast the walnut pieces over moderate heat for about 3 minutes.
9) In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 5 tablespoons walnut oil, the vinegar, green peppercorns and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to make a dressing.
10) Add avocado slices to the dressing, tossing gently to coat.
11) In a large platter, mound the veal in the center.
12) Arrange the avocado slices around the veal and sprinkle walnuts on the avocados.
13) Drizzle the dressing over the salad before serving.
Calories 652 Calories from Fat 401
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.6%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174 mg58%
Sodium 502.3 mg20.9%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.4%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 45 g90.4%
Vitamin A 82.5% Vitamin C 27.6%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet