South Sea Beef Salad
|Beef tenderloin||1⁄2 Pound|
|Snow peas||1⁄2 Pound|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon (Nuoc Mam)|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Chinese chili sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Red onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Red bell peppers||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Jicama||1⁄2 Pound, cut into thin strips|
|Peanuts||2 Tablespoon, chopped, roasted|
|Lime zest||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced (Cilantro)|
1) Chill the meat inside the freezer for 20 minutes or until very firm.
2) Cut the meat into paper-thin slices.
3) Stack these paper-thin beef slices and cut into matchstick-size pieces.
4) In a plate, place the meat and press plastic wrap directly on it so the meat is covered airtight.
5) Place inside refrigerator until it is time to use.
6) In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the snow peas for 10 seconds.
7) Drain the water and rinse the peas immediately under cold running water until cool. Drain well and pat dry. Cut the snow peas lengthwise into thin strips.
8) In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chili sauce, garlic and 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Continue stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
9) In a large bowl, add the red onion, red peppers, jicama, snow peas and half of the beef strips to combine.
10) Pour in dressing and toss the salad.
11) In a serving platter, turn out the salad.
12) Nicely arrange the remaining beef slices on the salad.
13) Sprinkle with peanuts, lime zest, nutmeg and coriander over the top, just before serving.