|Chicken stock/Canned broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Skinless boneless chicken breast/Leftover cooked chicken||1⁄2 Pound|
|Couscous||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Cucumber/Zucchini||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Red onion||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Granny smith apple||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Currants/Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Canned chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed and drained|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) In a heavy medium saucepan, whisk together the chicken stock, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, turmeric and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
2) Place over heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add the chicken breast if you are using uncooked chicken.
3) Poach until white throughout but still moist, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
4) Return the stock to a boil.
5) Add the couscous in a slow steady stream, stirring constantly, and continue to boil, stirring, for 1 minute.
6) Tightly cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
7) Use a fork, to fluff the couscous grains.
8) In a large mixing bowl transfer the couscous and let cool.
9) Then fluff again, rubbing with your fingers to break up any lumps.
10) Dice the chicken (poached or leftover) into 1/2-inch pieces.
11) Add the chicken to the couscous.
12) Add the carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, apple, currants and chickpeas. Toss all together.
13) In a small lidded jar, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and shake with the lemon juice, salt and pepper until well mixed.
14) Pour this mixture over the salad and toss well.
15) Cover and refrigerate for several hours or up to 3 days.
16) Season the salad with additional salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste before serving.