Rainbow Chicken Salad
|Boston lettuce head||4|
|Chicken||2 Cup (32 tbs), diced and cooked|
|Oranges||2 Medium, peeled and chopped to make 1 cup|
|Fresh pineapple/Use canned pineapple chunks in natural juice, drained||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Frozen blueberries||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh / Unsweetened, Thawed)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Or As Desired, For Garnish)|
|For banana cream|
|Ripe bananas||2 Small, sliced|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1 Pint (2 Cups)|
|Coconut extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) From the heads of lettuce, remove the hearts. Do not separate or tear the outer leaves.
2) Retain the outer leaves for lettuce bowls in which the salad can be served.
3) Wash the leaves gently. Place on paper towels in the refrigerator until needed.
4) Meanwhile, wash the hearts, tear them into bite-size pieces and put in a large bowl. This will make approximately 5 cups of torn lettuce.
5) Also, prepare the banana cream dressing by mixing the sliced bananas and lemon juice in a blender, followed by the remaining ingredients.
6) To the torn lettuce, add the chicken, oranges, pineapple and 1 cup banana cream dressing. Toss well. (You can store the rest of the dressing in the refrigerator for use later.)
7) On a large chilled salad plate, place each lettuce bowl.
8) Evenly divide the salad into them.
9) On top of each serving, spoon 1/4 cup of the blueberries.
10) With cinnamon, lightly sprinkle each salad.
11) This is a delicious entree for a light lunch or supper menu. Serve gingerbread muffins as an accompaniment.
Calories 172 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27 mg9%
Sodium 69.7 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.8%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 12 g24.4%
Vitamin A 58.3% Vitamin C 60.1%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet