Soft Shell Crab And Hazelnut Salad
|Hazelnuts||5 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shell crabs||8 , cleaned|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sherry wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Hazelnut oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, grated|
|Arugula||2 1⁄2 Bunch (250 gm), large stems removed (Large Bunches)|
|Belgian endives||3 Medium, cored and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick|
|Lemon wedges||3 (For Serving)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the hazelnuts on a small baking sheet and roast in the middle of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until fragrant and the skins start to crack. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and rub them against each other to remove the skins. Let the nuts cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 250°.
2. In a food processor, combine 1/2 cup of the cooled hazelnuts with the flour and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Place on a plate. Coarsely chop the remaining 1/2 cup hazelnuts and set aside.
3. Place the crabs in a large shallow dish and pour the milk on top. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Gradually whisk in the hazelnut oil, vegetable oil and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Set the dressing aside.
4. In a large skillet, preferably nonstick, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderately high heat. Remove 4 crabs from the milk and shake gently. Dredge the crabs in the hazelnut flour, add to the skillet and fry, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the crabs to a heatproof platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and 4 crabs.
5. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, arugula and endives. Add all but 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss well. Arrange the salad on plates and sprinkle the reserved chopped hazelnuts on top. Set the crabs on the salads and spoon some of the reserved dressing over each crab. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges on the side.