Chickpea And Baked Bell Pepper Salad With Cumin
|Dried chickpeas||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red bell peppers||2 Large|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm) (Unpeeled)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Cumin seeds||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Small, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
1. In a large saucepan, cover the chickpeas with cold water and let soak overnight at room temperature. The next day, strain off the water. Cover the chickpeas with 6 inches of fresh water and bring to a boil over high heat. Using a ladle, skim the water to remove any impurities that rise to the surface. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Simmer, adding 2 cups of hot tap water to the pan every 30 minutes or so as necessary, until the chickpeas are tender, about 3 hours. Remove from the heat and let cool in the liquid. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. (The can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
2. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small roasting pan, combine the bell peppers, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the rosemary, if desired, and 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until the peppers and garlic are soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Then transfer the peppers to a large plate and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, peel the garlic cloves and place them in a small bowl. Mash them with a fork. Stir in the juices from the roasting pan; discard the rosemary.
4. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pound in a mortar, grind in a spice mill or coarsely chop with a knife to form a coarse powder. Stir the cumin into the garlic dressing along with the lemon juice, vinegar, salt, black pepper and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
5. Pour the dressing over the chickpeas, add the red onion and mix well. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
6. Working over a bowl, peel the peppers; remove and discard the cores, seeds and ribs. Cut into 1/2-inch dice. Reserve all the juices from the peppers. Shortly before serving, fold the peppers and their liquid into the chickpeas along with the tomatoes. Season with additional salt to taste. Serve the salad at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Calories 631 Calories from Fat 267
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45.3%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 399.5 mg16.6%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24.1%
Dietary Fiber 20.2 g80.9%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 22 g43.2%
Vitamin A 49.7% Vitamin C 162.3%
Calcium 16.4% Iron 50.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet