Warm Artichoke Salad With Bacon And Mustard Vinaigrette
|Dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Garlic cloves||1 Large, smashed|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Artichokes||4 Pound (4 Medium Size)|
|Lemon||1 , halved|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl, whisk the mustard with the vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper and 1 tablespoon of water; set aside. (The vinaigrette can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.) Before serving, remove the garlic.
2. Trim the artichokes by first snapping off the tough outer leaves near the base. Using a sharp, stainless steel knife, cut off the stems; cut the crowns to within 1 1/2 inches of the base. Scoop out the hairy chokes with a spoon and trim carefully to remove all the leaves. Immediately rub the surfaces with the cut lemon and set the artichoke hearts aside.
3. Place the flour in a large nonreac-tive pot and whisk in enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Then whisk in 4 more cups of cold water. When all the water has been added, whisk in the lemon juice and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for 3 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts, and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the artichoke hearts are just tender when pierced with a small sharp knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the hearts cool to room temperature in the liquid.
4. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked but not crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cut each slice crosswise into 6 pieces.
5. Drain the artichoke hearts well. Using a teaspoon, scoop out any remaining portions of the chokes. Slice the artichoke hearts 1/4 inch thick. Whisk the vinaigrette to combine and add the sliced artichokes, bacon and parsley. Toss well. Serve at room temperature.
Calories 236 Calories from Fat 112
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.7%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.86 mg0.29%
Sodium 413.7 mg17.2%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.7%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 8 g16.8%
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 65%
Calcium 11.2% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet