Black Bean And Celery Salad
|Dried black beans||1 Pound, rinsed and picked over|
|Salt||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Celery ribs||5 , finely diced|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Red onions||3⁄4 Pound, 2 finely chopped, 1 thinly sliced|
|Olive oil/Other vegetable oil||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Fresh lime juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lime||1 , zest grated|
|Red onion rings||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Place the beans in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let soak overnight. Alternatively, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let soak for 1 hour.
2. Drain the beans, return them to the pot and add fresh cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the beans are almost tender, about 45 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook until tender, 30 to 45 minutes longer. Drain the beans and set aside to cool. (The beans can be cooked up to 3 days ahead. Refrigerate, covered.)
3. In a large bowl, combine the black beans, celery, green pepper, chopped red onions and sliced red onion. Toss to
4. In a small jar, combine the oil, lime juice, black pepper, lime zest and remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. Cover with a tight lid and shake to blend.
5. Pour the dressing over the bean salad and toss well. (The salad can be made up to 3 hours ahead and tossed again just before serving. Let stand at room temperature.) Garnish with onion rings just before serving.