Fresh Tuna Salad Nicoise
|Chopped fresh thyme||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Tuna steak||1 Pound, cut 1 1/4 inches thick (1 Piece)|
|Shallots||2 Medium, minced|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Small red potatoes||3⁄4 Pound, quartered|
|Cherry tomatoes||1 Pint, halved|
1. In a shallow baking dish, combine
2 teaspoons of the thyme, 1 clove of the garlic, 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Place the tuna in the marinade and turn to coat well. Set aside at room temperature, turning occasionally, for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the shallots, salt and vinegar with the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 garlic cloves and 3/8 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil.
3. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the green beans to a bowl of ice water; drain. In the same boiling water, cook the potatoes over moderately high heat until tender, 8 to 10 minutes; drain. Place the green beans, potatoes and tomatoes in separate bowls.
4. Cover the baking dish holding the tuna with aluminum foil, crimping the edges to seal. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer the tuna to a shallow dish. Drizzle the vinaigrette evenly over the tuna and the three vegetables. Toss the vegetables to coat. Marinate, turning the tuna occasionally, for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
5. To assemble, place the tuna in the center of a large serving platter. Arrange the marinated vegetables around the fish and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve the salad at room temperature.
Calories 692 Calories from Fat 426
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.9%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g21.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 43.1 mg14.4%
Sodium 595.5 mg24.8%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 6 g23.8%
Sugars 7.4 g
Protein 32 g63.1%
Vitamin A 77.3% Vitamin C 93.8%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 23.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet